I’m kicking off the Baby Registry Guide with some nursery décor basics. Of course, you’ll most likely want a crib and some sort of rocking chair, but, what else would be helpful? A few items to keep things organized and a couple of decorative accents are all that are really necessary. Here are my favorite must-haves for a modern nursery:
01. Hangers. You’ll definitely need some mini-sized hangers to hang all of those cute shirts and dresses you’ll be receiving for your little one. Look for hangers that will work for both infant and children’s clothing, so you’ll only need one set. Personally, I love these non-slip velvet hangers. They’re compact, but sturdy. Kid’s Huggable Hangers at The Container Store, $4.49 / package of five.
02. Shoe Bins. Keep those adorable tiny shoes neat and organized with this shoe bin organizer. 3-Section Shoe Bin at The Container Store, $4.99.
03. Mobile. There are so many directions you can go with a decorative mobile. I love this brass hanging sphere. It doesn’t scream “baby” and will continue to look cool in their room once they’re grown. Sphere Hanging Mobile from CB2, $34.95.
04. Rocker. Or Glider. Or Basic Chair. Whether you decide to go the rocker route or not, you’ll most likely want some sort of chair (or two) in the nursery. It’s important to make sure that it’s comfortable. Look for high back that allows you to rest your head. You also might want to look for a chair that is a little wider than normal so that when your little one is older, they’ll fit comfortable beside you as you read a bedtime story. The color and print of the fabric is up to you, but I highly suggest looking for something that is easy to wipe and clean. A faux leather or outdoor Sunbrella fabric both make great choices. This chair fits all of that criteria and it’s my absolute favorite on the market. Joya Rocker in white leather at Land of Nod, $1,195.
Other Modern Rocker Options: ducduc Collins Rocker, $1,595; Nurseryworks Empire Rocker at 2Modern, $899; DwellStudio Myles Glider, $1,190; Nurseryworks Sleeptime Rocker at Target, $499; Tiffany Blue Glider from Bratt Decor, $770; SPI Baby Beckett Rocker at AllModern, $1,599.
05. Diaper Organizer. Babies go through a lot of diapers and wipes. Keep things organized and easily-accessible with this wall-mounted diaper and wipe dispenser. Bobee Diaper Stacker at Wayfair, $39.99.
Another Modern Diaper Caddy: Boon Loop at Nordstrom, $44,95.
06. Decorative Objects. Such as a piggy bank, book ends and wall art. Even the most minimalist of moms want some of decorative objects to set apart their nursery. Woodland Park Elephant Bank from Kate Spade New York, $50.
We Also Love: Züny Bookends at Serena & Lily, $54 and up; Art prints from The Animal Print Shop, $25 and up; Jonathan Adler Junior Elephant White Bank at Layla Grayce, $88; Art prints from Rifle Paper Co., $24 and up.
07. Hamper. It’s a fact, kids go through a lot of clothes. I love this whimsical clothing hamper to help keep dirties in place. Animal Hamper from Home Decorator’s Collection, $69-109.
08. Miscellaneous Bins. You can never have enough baskets and bins. Use these to organize everything from blankets, stuffed animals, diapers and toys. Natural Round Jute Bins at The Container Store, $14.99-24.99.
Other Storage Options: Chalk-a-Doodle Large Bin from SugarBooger, $47; Nate Berkus Chevron Pattern Storage Basket at Target, $34.99; MAGGA Basket from IKEA, $7.99; Pewter Mercado Baskets from Serena & Lily, $48 for two.
09. Crib. Shopping for a crib is like shopping for a car, there are so many options, at so many different price points! Personally, I’d rather spend more money on furnishings that can grow with my child, unlike a crib that they only use for a couple of years. There are some great, affordable designs out there. GULLIVER Crib from IKEA, $99. Not available online.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER BABY REGISTRY GIFT GUIDES::