Today I am sharing the second installment of my modern Baby Registry Guide. This week, I am talking about my favorite items related to baby’s sleep. In addition to a crib (which I talked about on week one with nursery décor and organization), you may need some other items to help you get through those long nights (and days). Here are my top picks:
01. Sleep Sacks. I have heard nothing, but amazing things about these genius inventions. Most (not all) babies love to be swaddled when they’re first born. These newborn swaddle SleepSacks are the perfect way to tuck them in! It’s also adjustable, allowing you to swaddle either with or without their arms. And an inverted zipper provides easy access for late-night diaper changes. Upgrade to a SleepSack Wearable Blanket once they’re rolling over or breaking free of the swaddle wrap. SleepSack Swaddle in 100% Organic Cotton from HALO, $34.95.
02. Pacifiers. Pacifiers can be controversial, but if you’re going to use one, I’ve heard these are well-received by most newborns. Honestly, we’ll probably all have to test out a couple different kinds to see what our baby prefers. Avent Soothie Pacifier at Drugstore.com, $3.99 for two.
03. Receiving Blankets. Basic receiving blankets are bound to come in handy. I plan on using these for swaddling, nursing covers, burp cloths, stroller blankets, car seat covers…you name it. I prefer the solid white, but you can definitely find some more decorative ones, if that’s your preference. Side note: These bamboo swaddles are literally the softest things ever! Earthly Bamboo Swaddles from aden + anais, $45 / 3-pack.
04. Sleep Machine. Not all babies need a sound machine, but I can see where they might come in handy. After some research, I discovered this basic sound conditioner. It’s my pick because it doesn’t automatically shut-off like some other versions, which I’ve read can wake a light-sleeping baby. Marpac the Original Sound Conditioner at Bed Bath and Beyond, $59.99.
More Sleep Machine Options: Sleep Sheep Sound Machine Soother from Cloud b on Amazon, $25; Graco Sleep Slumber Sound Machine on Amazon, $44.99; Tranquil Moments White Noise Sound Machine for Baby from Brookstone, $89.99; aden + anais Serenity Star at Bloomingdale’s, $89.95.
05. Nightlight. Maybe they’re mostly decorative for now, but a soft warm glow in the middle of the night will be helpful when checking on your little one. Twinkle Star Nightlight at RH Baby & Child, $19.
Other Cute Night Light Options: Rabbit Night Light at Lark, $19.95; Elephant Nightlight from Land of Nod, $99; Jonathan Adler Giraffe Night Light at Bloomingdale’s, $48.
06. Crib Mattress. In addition to a crib, you also need a crib mattress. I recommend buying something that has two stages of firmness – a firm side for your newborn and a slightly softer option that can be used in a toddler bed. Naturepedic No-Compromise Lightweight Class 2-Stage Crib Mattress from AllModern, $289.
Don’t Forget to Also Register For: Naturepedic Organic Cotton Waterproof Flat Crib Protector Pad at Amazon, $59.
07. Crib Sheets. Most moms decorate their nursery around the crib bedding. Not me. I am going plain and simple with these genius zippered sheets. It’s so easy to change a soiled sheet when all you have to do is zip off the top! QuickZip Crib Sheet Starter Set from Clouds and Stars, $39.99.
Another Smart Crib Sheet Option: Summer Infant Ultimate Crib Sheet on Amazon, $14.99.
08. Blanket. Keep baby (not until they’re over 12 months, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics) warm with a sweet and soft baby blanket. Until then, it can look precious hanging on the side of the crib or rocking chair. Stokke Sleepi Textiles Blanket at AllModern, $69.99.
More Modern Baby Blankets: J.Crew Collection Cashmere Baby Blanket, $198; Coyuchi Muslin Swaddling Blanket at Steven Alan, $58 for two; Blabla Blanket in Pointelle Mist at Layla Grayce, $76
09. Bassinet. Or Moses Basket. You may not want to put your infant in their crib right away. A moses basket or bassinet is a great thing to have for those early weeks. They’re perfect to keep by your master bed, but can easily transport around the house for daytime naps. Sausalito Moses Basket from Serena & Lily, $225.
Additional Newborn Sleeping Options: Moba at John Lewis, £89.99, giggle Moses Basket, $90.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER BABY REGISTRY GIFT GUIDES::
Announcing the Baby Registry Guide Series
01. Nursery Décor & Organization
03. Nursing & Feeding available on October 24, 2013
04. Bathing & Potty available on October 31, 2013
05. Health & Safety available on November 7, 2013
06. Travel available on November 14, 2013
07. Play available on November 21, 2013
08. Clothing & Accessories available on November 28, 2013