For the past few months I have been playing interior designer, working on my daughter’s nursery. It’s been an extremely fun project and I am finally down to selecting the last pieces of art and finishing touches. If you remember this post, I am trying to create a comfortable and cheerful room using modern and whimsical furnishings that will hopefully grow up with our daughter. As I started making selections, I noticed several themes emerging:
Flora & Fauna :: Our daughter’s room is turning into a modern zoo. I didn’t plan on an animal theme, but I just keep finding the cutest modern animal objects, like this Kate Spade New York elephant bank, leather lion and sheep bookends, and my absolute favorite item, the wicker, animal hamper. To help add femininity to the room, I am looking for floral art to adorn the walls. I love this print from Lulie Wallace at Anthropologie.
Modern Clean Lines :: No surprise here, I am drawn to modern clean lines for the nursery furniture. For a great looking, modern crib, you can’t beat the price at Ikea and the Nurseryworks Sleepytime Rocker and Perch Stool are perfect for our little feeding / reading corner.
Sculptural Objects :: To balance with the modern, clean lines of the larger furnishings, I wanted to incorporate some whimsical shapes and sculptures into the room. I fell in love with this eccentric floor lamp and this brass sphere pendant.
Black & White with Light Wood :: When it comes to color, I am setting the base with classic black and white. I selected all white furniture and am looking to smaller accessories, like this side table, table lamp, mirror, pillow, throw, hooks and drawer knobs to add some stark contrast. I am also adding pops of natural, light wood through the changing pad tray, the rocker legs, the wicker hamper, and various toys and accessories.
Mixed Patterns :: I am not committing to a single pattern. Instead I am incorporating various prints in shades of chartreuse, peach and turquoise. This rug from Anthropologie makes the room in my opinion. I also love this polka-dot cashmere blanket from J.Crew Baby and this bohemian pillow from Lulu & Georgia.
Oh and yes, we decided on a name – Beckett Elizabeth! I can’t wait to meet her in less than two months!
(No. 1) Land of Nod Grand Canvas Banner, $29; (No. 2) J.Crew Baby Cashmere Blanket, $198; (No. 3) Kate Spade New York Woodland Park Elephant Bank, $50; (No. 4) CB2 Sphere Hanging Mobile, $35; (No. 5) Nurseryworks Sleepytime Rocker, $499; (No. 6) Lulu & Georgia Field of Gold Pillow, $50; (No. 7) Ikea GULLIVER Crib, $99; (No. 8) Serena & Lily Pom Pom Throw, $128; (No. 9) Serena & Lily Elsa Stool, $125; (No. 10) Lulie Wallace Flower Print at Anthropologie, $98; (No. 11) Jonathan Adler Reversible Letter Pillow, $125; (No. 12) 55 Downing Street High Checkered Sea Shell Mosaic Wall Mirror, $370; (No. 13) Land of Nod Isosceles Table Lamp, $89; (No. 14) 55 Downing Street Etched Glass Lilypad Floor Lamp, $400; (No. 15) Tvilum Somerset 8 Drawer Dresser from AllModern, now at Wayfair, $442; (No. 16) Anthropologie B&W Wall Hooks, $8 each; (No. 17) Land of Nod Kneatly Knit Rope Bins, $25-50; (No. 18) Land of Nod Handpicked Knobs, $8 each; (No. 19) BlaBla Theo the Cat Doll, $44-56; (No. 20) The Animal Print Shop Baby Zebra Print, $25+; (No. 21) Anthropologie Banksia Rug, $448-1,698; (No. 22) The Home Decorator’s Collection Animal Hamper, $69-109.
A special thank you to the following retailers for working with me to outfit my nursery. These are some of my favorite online home décor retailers and I am lucky to have their beautifully designed and well-made items in Beckett’s nursery. Please check back in 2014 when I’ll share the final reveal.
55 Downing Street – AllModern – Anthropologie – Home Decorator’s Collection
Land of Nod – Lulu & Georgia – Serena & Lily
I love a good deal. Honestly, finding something I want / need at a price well-below its traditional value gives me a slight high. I always google for coupon codes. I price compare across multiple sites. I like to “beat the system”. And I admit I’ve woken up before sunrise on more than one occasion to hit up Black Friday sales. But, this year, I am sticking to mostly online shopping. And why not! Many of my favorite retailers are offering the same great deals online. I’ve rounded up my favorites for you, and included some insight into what my shopping carts will look like here shortly.
And here’s the really awesome part…some of these deals are available NOW! So click on over and check out the deals! If they’re not yet available, I suggest filling up your shopping cart so you’re ready first thing Friday / Monday morning.
Note: Modern Eve is not responsible for these promotions. Please check with the individual retailers regarding exclusions, dates, return policies, etc…
Amazon :: Random deals all week long. >> shop now
My cart is full of great gifts for friends and family. Hoping to see some of those items go on sale!
Anthropologie :: 20% off site wide. >> shop now
I want to buy this art print (second image) for the nursery. I’ll also be looking for some great gift ideas.
ASOS :: 20% off site wide, increased to 30% off on Cyber Monday. >> shop now
Great time to stock up on some maternity sweaters and long-sleeve tees! Or shop for that holiday party dress!
Bed Bath & Beyond / Buy Buy Baby :: 20% off entire purchase in store (pick up coupon in store between 6am – noon, valid all day). Free shipping on purchases over $75. >> shop now
The Dyson Heat + Cool is excluded from the discount, but will be on sale for $299.99 (25% off)!
I’ll also be heading over to Buy Buy Baby (they take Bed Bath & Beyond coupons) to purchase some things we still need off my baby registry.
Carter’s / OshKosh B’gosh :: 50% store wide. >> shop now
Just ordered some basic white bodysuits and side-snap tees for $12 / pack.
Gap :: 50% off site / store wide. >> shop now
Great time to stock up on gifts for him, her, kids and baby. Personally, I’ll be snagging some underwear and some GapFit Maternity garb.
JCPenney :: Tons of deals; plus additional 10-15% off. >> shop now, use code BLKDEALS
Loving their Joe Fresh, Design by Conran, Happy Chic by Jonathan Adler, giggleBABY and Baker by Ted Baker lines.
Jonathan Adler :: 20% off site wide. >> shop now, use code SWANKY20
Some of my friends and family might be receiving a little JA under their tree! And I really want to buy my baby girl this pillow for her nursery.
Land of Nod :: 15% off site wide + free shipping. >> shop now
So many great gift ideas for the little ones in your family. My top picks are this modern rocking horse, wooden doctor kit and plush campfire / s’more set.
Little Hip Squeaks :: 25% off site wide + door busters starting at 7 am EST. >> shop now, use code GOBBLE
I’ll be buying a baby headband or two for under $6 each.
LOFT :: 40% off everything, increased to 50% off everything on Sunday 12/1 >> shop now, use code ENJOY and CYBER50
Loren Hope :: 20% off orders over $100 + free shipping >> shop now, use code THANKS
I have fallen in love with Loren’s designs. If you’re looking to buy someone jewelry this year, you must check her out!
Macy’s :: Major deals, plus $10 off your $25 or more purchase. >> shop now, use code THANK25 (click for in-store use)
Hoping to scoop up this little white Christmas tree for a great price.
Old Navy :: 50% off store wide. >> shop now
I’ll be checking out their baby clothes…already great prices + 50% = total win.
Serena & Lily :: 20% off site wide + free shipping. >> shop now, use code THANKS20
So many great gift ideas!!! This company is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites.
SHOPBOP :: 15% off orders over $250, 20% off orders over $500, 25% off order over $1,000. >> shop now, use code BIGEVENT13
I can always find something at SHOPBOP. I am also loving their new East Dane site for men.
A couple weeks ago, my best girlfriends threw me the most amazing baby shower. I am working on gathering pictures and will share the details later, but today I thought I’d share what I wore. Baby shower dress shopping was more difficult than I imagined. But I am so glad I settled on this midi embellished dress from ASOS, which has become one of my go-to retailers for maternity fashion.
Maternity Style, Showered (30 weeks) :: Dress: ASOS (also in navy, perfect if you’re having boy!). Bracelet: J.Crew (similar budget version, available in other metals). Wedges: Pour la Victoire via Last Call.
We’re a week behind on the Baby Registry Guide series and I apologize for that. But, today, we’re back on schedule and I’m sharing some favorite gear for traveling with your little one. Whether it’s a walk down to the park or an overnight stay, there are a couple of items that are must-haves when it comes to away from home comfort and care. Most of these items are very personal and greatly depend on your needs and budget, but I thought I’d go ahead and share my top picks as I prepare for Modern Eve Baby to arrive in less than two months!
01. Diaper Bag. I am actually preparing a “Best Of: Chic Diaper Bags” post to share with y’all soon. There are just too many great options out there! Everyone is different, but as I am looking for a diaper bag, I want something simple and discrete – something I wouldn’t mind carrying, even if I didn’t need to. You also might want to consider something that your husband is willing to carry; and something that you feel comfortable leaving with a childcare provider. Rebecca Minkoff Knocked Up Baby Bag at Neiman Marcus, $345.
02. Infant Car Seat. Unless you live in the city and never plan on taking taxis with your child, you’re going to need an infant car seat. I am really excited about my new UPPAbaby Mesa. It’s suitable for children 4-35 pounds, up to 32″ in height, and has some great safety features, including an adjustable headrest with side impact protection (SIP) and a revolutionary smart secure system that provides visual confirmation that the base is correctly installed. It also easily attaches to the UPPAbaby VISTA and CRUZ strollers, without the need for an extra attachment piece. But most of all, I love its sleek, modern design. UPPAbaby Mesa, $280.
03. Baby Carrier. Wearing your baby isn’t for all moms, which is fine. But, for me, the idea of a hands-free trip to the grocery store or afternoon at the mall is very appealing. Like many of these products, you have a ton of options – wraps, slings, or the traditional baby carrier model, as seen here. I’ve had friends rave about various wraps and slings, but they look a little confusing to me. I also wanted something that my husband wouldn’t mind wearing. This popular carrier comes well-recommended, has an infant insert option and allows you to carry your child in three different positions, in the front, on your hip, and on the back. Ergobaby Carrier, $115.
More Carrier That Come Highly Recommended: Ergobaby Wrap, coming in 2014; Moby Wrap on Amazon, $45; Stokke My Carrier on Amazon, $220; BabyBjörn Baby Carrier on Amazon, $80.
04. Travel Crib. Or pack n’ play. Or play yard. These can come in handy at home, but especially when your child needs to sleep away from their crib. I did a lot of research here. First of all, most pack n’ plays are hideous, bulky and difficult to assemble. I love the 4moms Breeze because you can literally open it buy pushing it down with one hand. It’s extremely simple! It also has a bassinet feature for infants, which is different than some of the simple play yards I looked into. It’s going to be a great solution for travel. 4moms Breeze, $300.
A Ridiculous Light-Weight (7 lbs !!!)Travel Crib Option: Phil&Teds Traveller Crib on Amazon, $199.
05. Wet Bag. If you’re planning on using cloth diapers, you’ll definitely need a wet bag, but I think that they’re a great idea even if you’re using disposables. You never know when your baby will have an accident and having something to put those soiled clothes in might come in handy. Look for something that’s large enough to hold a whole outfit. Alva Baby Wet and Dry Cloth Diaper Bag on Amazon, $5.
06. Changing Organizer. I am actually registering for two of these, in addition to my diaper bag. I plan on leaving them in our cars. I’ve heard many stories about moms being out with the kids for a quick trip when one of their kids had a major episode, only to realize that they don’t have a diaper with them. Keeping these, filled with a couple of diapers and wipes, in our cars will give us the freedom to run out without the big diaper bag for quick trips. They’re also a great back-up resource! Summer Infant Change Away on Amazon, $8.
07. Bouncer. This item doesn’t traditionally fall under the “travel” category, but many of my friends found this simple and compact bouncer to come in handy while on the road. They’ve brought it over for dinner at our house, to the babysitter’s, and even to the beach. It’s also great to have at home. I plan on using mine to babysit our daughter while I’m taking a shower or fixing dinner. It’s so lightweight that you can easily move it around. Plus, it folds flat so you can even put it in a large suitcase! BABYBJÖRN Bouncer Balance Soft on Amazon, $183.
08. Stroller. Since I hope to be a mom on the go, my stroller was extremely important to me. I wanted something that was well-designed, sleek, easily to steer, and converts with my growing child (and possibly to include future children). I decided on the UPPAbaby VISTA and am so in love. Not only does it work with my carseat, but it also has a bassinet that’s perfect for naps. The full-sized toddler seat can face forward or backwards (and fully reclines), depending on your needs. You’re also able to add their RumbleSeat and PiggyBack accessories to convert the VISTA to accommodate three children. This stroller isn’t cheap, but all of its amazing features and specs make it well worth the price. UPPAbaby VISTA, $730.
Other Strollers We Considered: Bugaboo Buffalo on Amazon, $1,129 and Britax B-Agile on Amazon, $184.
09. Seat Protector. Definitely not a must-have, but if you’re interested in protecting your vehicle’s seats, this is the seat protector to go with. What’s great about this option is there are two stages. Use the bottom tray along with rear facing infant seats and then attach the back portion when you switch to a forward facing seat or booster seat. Prince Lionheart Two-Stage Seatsaver on Amazon, $22.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER BABY REGISTRY GIFT GUIDES::
Announcing the Baby Registry Guide Series
01. Nursery Décor & Organization
03. Nursing & Feeding
04. Bathing & Potty
05. Health & Safety
07. Play available on November 28, 2013 *revised schedule
08. Clothing & Accessories available on December 5, 2013 *revised schedule
It’s that time of year again! Make your list, check it twice – and start browsing to & from, Holiday 2013! Once again, my business partner, Meg Biram, and I have scoured the web and partnered with some of the most stylish bloggers, tastemakers and editors to bring you 214 PAGES! of amazing, beautiful and practical gift ideas for everyone on your list this year. For every style and every price point it’s easy to finish your shopping all from one place – at home (or work…shhh, I won’t tell) from your laptop, while sipping your favorite warm beverage.
I also wanted to give a special shout out and thank you to some of our top advertisers. Without them, this publication would truly not be possible. Make sure to check out their sites!
Baby Bow Ties
The Honest Company
Shop Ten 25
Page 1 of 21112345...»Last »